The following definitions, in addition to those in 75-5-103, MCA, apply throughout this subchapter:
(1) "Beneficial use" means a use of ground water designated under the appropriate classification in ARM 17.30.1006.
(2) "DEQ-7" means Department Circular DEQ-7, entitled "Montana Numeric Water Quality Standards" (May 2017 edition), which establishes numeric water quality standards for toxic, carcinogenic, radioactive, bioconcentrating, nutrient, and harmful parameters.
(a) The board adopts and incorporates by reference Department Circular DEQ-7, entitled "Montana Numeric Water Quality Standards" (May 2017 edition), which establishes numeric water quality standards for toxic, carcinogenic, bioconcentrating, nutrient, radioactive, and harmful parameters.
(3) "Discharge" means the addition of any pollutant to waters of the state.
(4) "Discharge limitations" means limitations imposed on the design or operation of a source to control the entry of pollutants into ground water.
(5) "Existing source" means a source which is or has been in operation or on which construction has commenced on October 29, 1982.
(6) "Ground water" means water occupying the voids within a geologic stratum and within the zone of saturation.
(7) "Mixing zone" means a portion of ground water to which pollutants are discharged and in which otherwise applicable ground water standards may be exceeded.
(8) "Montana ground water quality standards" means the standards for ground water quality set forth in ARM 17.30.1006.
(9) "Montana pollutant discharge elimination system (MPDES)" means the system developed by the state of Montana for issuing permits for the discharge of pollutants from point sources into state surface waters pursuant to ARM Title 17, chapter 30, subchapter 12.
(10) "MGWPCS" means the Montana ground water pollution control system established in this subchapter.
(11) "MPDES permit" means any permit issued by the department pursuant to ARM Title 17, chapter 30, subchapter 13 to regulate the discharge of pollutants from point sources into state surface waters.
(12) "Nonpoint source" means a diffuse source of pollutants resulting from the activities of man over a relatively large area, the effects of which normally must be addressed or controlled by a management practice rather than by an engineered containment or structure.
(13) "Owner or operator" means any person who owns, leases, operates, controls, or supervises a source discharging pollutants to ground waters.
(14) "Reclaimed wastewater" is defined in 75-6-102, MCA.
(15) "Source" means any sewage system, treatment works, point source, disposal system, concentration of pollutants, or pond containing process wastes or pollutants used, employed, or operated so that the same results or under normal operating conditions may reasonably be expected to result in the discharge of pollutants to ground waters of the state.
(16) "UIC program" means the underground injection control program established in compliance with the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, 42 USCA 300f, et seq.
(17) "Unrestricted reclaimed wastewater" means wastewater that is treated to the standards for Class A-1 or Class B-1 reclaimed wastewater, as set forth in Appendix B of Department Circular DEQ-2, entitled "Montana Department of Environmental Quality Design Standards for Public Sewage Systems" (2016 edition).
(a) The board adopts and incorporates by reference Department Circular DEQ-2, entitled "Department of Environmental Quality Design Standards for Public Sewage Systems" (2016 edition). Copies are available from the Department of Environmental Quality, Technical and Financial Assistance Bureau, P.O. Box 200901, Helena, MT 59620-0901.