(1) Steps and ladders shall be of an impervious material easily cleanable and sloped to drain.
(2) Steps or ladders shall be provided at the shallow end of the swimming pool if the vertical distance from the bottom of the pool to the deck or walk is over 2 feet. Recessed steps or ladders shall be provided at the deep portion of the swimming pool, and if the pool is over 30 feet wide, such steps or ladders shall be installed on each side. Ladders shall be so located that divers do not need to turn back in order to reach them.
(3) Steps leading into the swimming pool or spa shall be of non-slip design, have a minimum tread of 8 inches and a maximum rise or height of 10 inches.
(4) Swimming pool and spa ladders shall be corrosion-resistant and shall be equipped with non-slip treads. All ladders shall be so designed as to provide a handhold and shall be securely attached to the side of the pool or spa. There shall be a clearance of not more than 5 inches nor less than 3 inches between any ladder and the pool wall. If steps are inserted in the walls or if stepholes are provided, they shall be of such design that they may be cleaned readily and shall be arranged to drain into the pool to prevent the accumulation of dirt thereon. Step holes shall have a minimum tread of 5 inches and a minimum width of 14 inches.
(5) When steps, stepholes, or ladders are provided in the swimming pool or spa, handrails extending over the coping or edge of the deck are required. Where handrails are used in conjunction with steps or stairs, they must extend from the bottom of the last step leading into the pool, over the coping to the edge of the deck.
(6) Supports, platforms, and steps for diving boards shall be of sufficient structural strength to safely carry the maximum anticipated loads. Steps shall be of corrosion-resistant material, easily cleanable and of non-slip design. Handrails shall be provided at all steps and ladders leading to diving boards. Diving boards more than one meter high shall be protected with guard railings.
(7) A low diving board shall not be located below a high diving board.