10.101.101 AGENCY ORGANIZATION
(1) The state library commission consists of five members appointed by the governor for three-year terms and the state superintendent of public instruction or his designee and a librarian appointed by the commissioner of higher education from the Montana university system. The commission annually elects a chair from its membership. It employs as its executive officer a state librarian who is not a member of the commission, and who performs duties assigned by the commission.
(2) The state library provides library service at the state level, serving state government, local libraries, and federations; it promotes the development of adequate libraries throughout the state; it provides library service to persons with visual and physical disabilities; expends funds available from federal, state, and private sources for the purpose of fostering library development and for the purpose of fostering geographic information services; administers the Montana State Government Depository Program; and provides for a comprehensive program for the acquisition, storage, and retrieval of geospatial data and data related to the natural resources of Montana.
(3) Advisory committees are established by the state librarian and in accordance with 90-1-405, MCA, and 90-15-201, MCA. They act only in advisory capacity and have no policy-making authority.
(4) Inquiries regarding the functions of the state library shall be addressed to the state librarian.
(5) The following chart depicts the organization of the state library.
History: 2-4-201, MCA; IMP, 2-4-201, MCA; NEW, Eff. 12/31/72; AMD, Eff. 2/1/78; AMD, 9/30/84; AMD, 1987 MAR p. 1622, Eff. 9/25/87; AMD, Eff. 6/30/90; AMD, 1993 MAR p. 2783, Eff. 11/25/93; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 1991, Eff. 11/4/97; AMD, 2015 MAR p. 816, Eff. 5/1/15.