10.57.436 CLASS 7 AMERICAN INDIAN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE SPECIALIST
(1) A Class 7 American Indian language and culture specialist license is valid for a period of five years.
(2) The Superintendent of Public Instruction shall issue a Class 7 license based upon verification by the authorized representative of a tribal government, that has a memorandum of understanding with the Superintendent of Public Instruction, that the applicant has met tribal standards for competency and fluency as a requisite for teaching that language and culture.
(3) The Board of Public Education will accept and place on file the criteria developed by each tribe for qualifying an individual as competent to be a specialist in its language and culture.
(4) An application must verify completion of the online course "An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana."
(5) A Class 7 American Indian language and culture specialist licensee may be approved to teach traffic education if the licensee meets the requirements of ARM 10.13.310 and is approved by the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
(6) A Class 7 American Indian language and culture specialist license may be renewed upon meeting the terms of the renewal as provided in the memorandum of understanding in (2).
(7) A school district may assign an individual licensed under this rule to only specialist services within the field of American Indian language and culture under such supervision as the district may deem appropriate. No other teaching license or endorsement is required for duties within this prescribed field.
History: Mont. Const. Art. X, sec. 9, 20-4-102, MCA; IMP, Mont. Const. Art. X, sec. 9, 20-4-103, 20-4-106, MCA; NEW, 1995 MAR p. 2803, Eff. 12/22/95; TRANS, 2002 MAR p. 3309, 11/28/02; AMD, 2003 MAR p. 554, Eff. 3/28/03; AMD, 2009 MAR p. 345, Eff. 3/27/09; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 2930, Eff. 7/1/15; AMD, 2022 MAR p. 799, Eff. 5/28/22.