12.8.203 CONTROL OF ANIMALS
(1) No person may permit an animal to run at large in a designated public recreation area. Persons in possession of animals must restrain them and keep them under control in a manner which does not cause or permit a nuisance, annoyance, or danger to others. From April 1 through September 15 of each year unless otherwise posted, the animal must be physically restrained or on a leash under ten feet in length in hand or anchored at all times.
(2) Animals are not permitted in swimming beaches, sanitary facilities or areas or portions of areas posted to exclude them. Persons in possession of animals who permit said animals to create a nuisance or an annoyance to others or who do not restrain animals properly may be expelled from the area in addition to being subject to any other penalty provided.
(3) Persons bringing or allowing animals in designated recreation areas shall be responsible for proper removal and disposal of any waste produced by these animals.
(4) Ranging, grazing, watering or allowing livestock in designated recreation areas is prohibited except where specifically permitted or when authorized by lease, license or other written agreement with the department.
(5) Unauthorized animals including livestock may be impounded and will not be returned to the owner or possessor until the costs of capture and holding the animal are reimbursed to the department.
History: 23-1-106, 87-1-303, MCA; IMP, 23-1-102, MCA; Eff. 12/31/72; AMD, Eff. 6/5/76; AMD, 1979 MAR p. 318, Eff. 3/30/79; AMD, 1988 MAR p. 498, Eff. 3/11/88.