17.50.1205 ADDITIONAL DESIGN CRITERIA - CLASS II AND CLASS IV LANDFILL UNITS
(1) The owner or operator of a new Class II or Class IV landfill unit, or lateral expansion of an existing Class II or Class IV landfill unit, also shall comply with the following design criteria and exceptions:
(a) a leachate collection system is not required for a landfill unit that has obtained department approval of a demonstration, pursuant to ARM 17.50.1303(2), that there is no potential for migration of a constituent in Appendix I or II to 40 CFR Part 258 (July 1, 2008) pursuant to ARM Title 17, chapter 50, subchapter 13; and
(b) a liner is not required for a Class IV landfill unit located within the approved ground water monitoring network of a licensed Class II landfill facility.
(2) An owner or operator of a new Class II or Class IV landfill facility shall submit to the department for approval each landfill unit design plan, including any design specifications or applicable plans or documents developed pursuant to this chapter. The design plan must demonstrate compliance with the standards of ARM 17.50.1204(1).
(3) The owner or operator of a new Class II or Class IV landfill unit, or lateral expansion of an existing Class II or Class IV landfill unit, shall design and construct a landfill unit leachate collection and leachate removal system required under this subchapter to:
(a) provide for accurate monitoring of the leachate level, measured to within one centimeter, on the liner or base of the unit, and the leachate volume removed from the unit; and
(b) provide a minimum slope at the base of the overlying leachate collection layer equal to at least two percent.
(4) An owner or operator of a Class II landfill unit may, if it obtains department approval, recirculate leachate to that unit if the unit is constructed with a composite liner, leachate collection, and leachate removal system.
(5) At the time the owner or operator submits a design plan required in (2), the owner or operator of a Class II or Class IV landfill facility shall submit to the department for approval a construction quality control (CQC) and construction quality assurance (CQA) plan describing procedures that provide for conformance with the department-approved design plans required by (2).
(6) Within 60 days after construction of a Class II or Class IV landfill unit is completed, the owner or operator shall submit to the department for approval a final CQC and CQA report that describes, at a minimum, construction activities and deviations, and conformance with the plan required in (5).
(7) Within 60 days after construction of a Class II or Class IV landfill unit is completed, the owner or operator shall submit a certification, by an independent Montana licensed professional engineer, that the project was constructed according to the plans required in (2) and (5).
History: 75-10-204, MCA; IMP, 75-10-204, MCA; NEW, 2010 MAR p. 647, Eff. 2/12/10.