18.6.423 TOURIST-ORIENTED DIRECTIONAL SIGN (TODS) INSTALLATION
(1) Tourist-oriented intersection approach signs shall be located at least 200 feet in advance of the intersection. Signs should be spaced at least 200 feet apart and a least 200 feet from other traffic control devices.
(2) If used, advance signs shall be located approximately ½ mile from the intersection with 500 feet between the signs. In the direction of travel, the order of advance sign placement should be to show the destinations to the left first, then destinations to the right, and last, the destinations straight ahead.
(3) Tourist-oriented directional signs (TODS) may be placed farther from the edge of the road than other traffic control devices.
(4) The location of other traffic control devices shall take precedence over the location of tourist-oriented directional signs (TODS).
(5) The maximum number of tourist-oriented directional panels shall be 12 in each direction of travel at each intersection, and the maximum number of advance tourist-oriented directional panels shall be 9 in each direction of travel at each intersection.
(6) Where the number of activities to be signed is four or less at any one intersection, the tourist-oriented directional panels for right and left may be combined on one tourist-oriented directional sign. On a combination sign, the tourist-oriented directional panels will be arranged with the left arrows at the top and the right arrows below.
(7) Lateral clearance for tourist-oriented directional signs shall be equal to or greater than the other guide signs at the intersection. If adequate lateral clearance cannot be maintained due to terrain or other obstruction, tourist-oriented directional signs may not be installed.
(8) Where the right-of-way includes a sidewalk, tourist-oriented directional signs shall be erected beyond the outside edge of the sidewalk and are prohibited where there is insufficient right-of-way to erect the signs, except where prior approval from the department is obtained.
(9) A tourist-oriented directional sign (TODS) must be placed at least 30 feet from the edge of the pavement, where possible.
History: 60-5-503, MCA; IMP, 60-5-521, MCA; NEW, 1990 MAR p. 111, Eff. 1/12/90; AMD, 1997 MAR p. 1034, Eff. 6/24/97; TRANS, from ARM 18.7.323, 2011 MAR p. 2393, Eff. 11/11/11; AMD, 2012 MAR p. 2459, Eff. 12/7/12.