2.12.204 REVIEW AND APPROVAL PROCESS FOR PROCUREMENT, DEVELOPMENT, AND OVERSIGHT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY RESOURCES AND SOFTWARE AND MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
(1) State agencies shall submit on forms as required by the department a request for all information technology procurements or state agency development efforts in accordance with policies, standards, procedures, and guidelines.
(2) Agencies may request a preliminary project planning meeting with the department to identify important project issues, including project schedule, timeframes for review and approval, project management requirements, reporting and approval requirements, and any other issues identified by the agency or the department.
(3) In accordance with the policies and principles established in 2-17-505 , MCA, the department shall use the following process in reviewing the request:
(a) determine if the request is subject to approval as defined in 2-17-527 , MCA;
(b) determine if the request meets all applicable policies, standards, procedures, and guidelines;
(c) verify if the request complies with the state strategic plan for information technology;
(d) determine if the request is based upon state agency defined business requirements;
(e) verify the request supports the state agency's current information technology strategic plan;
(f) refer the request to subject matter experts as necessary;
(g) follow procedures for signature requirements;
(h) approve or deny the request and notify the state agency of the decision.
(4) For all formal agreements, a statement of work that complies with the format established by the department should accompany the request.
(a) Contracts shall use the standardized state information technology contract or note why it could not be used.
(b) The state chief information officer (CIO) or their designee shall review and approve all formal agreements.
(5) In the case of state agency procurement or development of software and management systems, the department will look at completeness, compliance with strategic direction of the state, policies, standards, procedures, guidelines, appropriateness, and duplication of functionality as general guidelines in the approval decision.
(a) Agencies shall report progress of software and management system procurement or development in accordance with policies, standards, procedures and guidelines.
(6) The department may delegate to agencies duties associated with the procurement and oversight of information technology so long as the duties are carried out in conformity with the requirements established in an information technology procurement delegation between the department and state agencies.
(7) The state agency director may appeal the department decision in regard to procurements to the CIO. If unsatisfied with the CIO's decision, the state agency director may appeal the department decision to the department director who will resolve the issue.
(8) The CIO will report all appeals and their resolution to the Information Technology Board.
History: 2-17-518, MCA; IMP, 2-17-512, 2-17-524, MCA; NEW, 2003 MAR p. 2417, Eff. 10/31/03; AMD, 2022 MAR p. 796, Eff. 5/28/22.