2.43.3001 FAMILY LAW ORDERS -- GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
(1) Upon request, MPERA will provide a checklist of mandatory and optional family law order (FLO) provisions.
(2) Information concerning a participant's account will only be released subject to the terms of ARM 2.43.1405, and policies adopted by MPERA and the board.
(3) An account cannot be established for an alternate payee in a retirement system or plan.
(4) A FLO may not force a member to:
(a) terminate employment;
(b) retire from employment; or
(c) belong to a specific retirement system or plan.
(5) Upon receipt of a certified copy of a stay from the issuing court or the Montana Supreme Court, MPERA and the board will suspend further consideration or implementation of a proposed FLO. Unless otherwise directed by court order, MPERA will retain payments withheld prior to receipt of the stay and simultaneously resume making payments of participant's full benefit. MPERA will take further action only on receipt of a certified copy of an order directing such action. If the stay is lifted, MPERA will proceed with consideration, approval, and implementation procedures.
(6) A restraining order may be used to temporarily stop or prohibit payment to a participant. The order must contain the same information identifying the participant and alternate payee as required for a FLO. If a proposed FLO is not received before the order expires, payments will resume and any retained payments will be made to the participant.
(7) The administrative cost, if any, of a FLO will be billed to the party filing the proposed FLO with the board, unless another party is designated in the FLO to pay the cost. Amounts owing may be offset against payments to be received by the appropriate party.
(8) An alternate payee may receive monthly benefit payments by electronic fund transfer upon submission of a properly executed form required by MPERA.
(9) An alternate payee must promptly inform MPERA of any change of name or address.
History: 19-2-403, 19-2-907, MCA; IMP, 19-2-907, MCA; NEW, 2002 MAR p. 2182, Eff. 8/16/02; AMD & TRANS, from ARM 2.43.1701, 2008 MAR p. 2467, Eff. 12/1/08; AMD, 2011 MAR p. 1678, Eff. 8/26/11.