23.3.183 PROOF OF MONTANA RESIDENCY
(1) When applying for a REAL ID driver’s license or identification card, each applicant shall submit satisfactory evidence of Montana residency (physical address).
(2) If the applicant has a different mailing address than residency (physical address), the applicant shall provide a separate mailing address.
(3) The Montana residency address must be displayed on the credential except that an alternative address may be displayed for an applicant whom a statute, regulation, or department business standard permits the display of an alternative address.
(4) The residency of an unmarried minor is:
(a) the residency of the minor's parents or parent;
(b) the residency of the legal guardian or custodian appointed by a court of competent jurisdiction;
(c) as determined by district court order; or
(d) as approved by the department.
(5) The residency of a married minor is the minor's residency.
(6) The residency of an emancipated minor is the minor's residency.
(7) The residency address must be:
(a) the number and street name assigned for U.S. mail delivery;
(b) an address convention used by the U.S. postal service in areas where a number and street name have not been assigned; or
(c) a descriptive address of the location where the applicant resides (for example, under the west end of the east street bridge) if the applicant does not have a standard address or is homeless.
(8) The document must show the applicant's name and current residency.
(9) Each applicant shall establish residency by submitting two documents from the following list:
(a) valid Montana credential;
(b) valid Montana REAL ID credential;
(c) expired Montana credential;
(d) expired Montana REAL ID credential;
(e) a Montana hunting or fishing license or permit;
(f) utility bill;
(g) credit card statement;
(h) school transcript or report card;
(i) bank statement;
(j) mortgage document;
(k) rental agreement or rent receipt;
(l) insurance policy;
(m) tax document;
(n) pay stub;
(o) vehicle registration or title;
(p) voter registration;
(q) phone bill;
(r) federally recognized tribal identification;
(s) Montana recognized tribal identification;
(t) certified court documents (for example, court order, judgment, subpoena, warrant); or
(u) first class mail with postmark.
(10) If the applicant is homeless, the applicant shall submit:
(a) a separate mailing address;
(b) a written statement from a social service agency on the agency's letterhead verifying the applicant's homeless status and the descriptive address given by the applicant.
History: 61-5-125, 61-5-128, MCA; IMP, 61-5-128, 61-5-129, MCA; NEW, 2018 MAR p. 1956, Eff. 10/6/18.