23.3.420 SAFETY EQUIPMENT FOR FERTILIZER TRAILERS
Trailers designed for transporting and dispersing fertilizer shall comply with the following safety requirements:
(1) Unless the trailer is equipped with brakes in compliance with section 61-9-301, MCA, it may not be towed at a speed greater than 35 miles per hour.
(2) If the trailer is towed in a combination of more than two vehicles, the rear units of the combination shall be equipped with breakaway brakes.
(3) The trailer may be operated only in daylight hours unless it is equipped with lights in compliance with section 61-9-207, MCA.
(4) Unless the brake lights and turn signals of the motor vehicle towing the trailer are clearly visible from the rear, the trailer shall be equipped with brake lights and turn signals.
(5) The tow bar of the trailer shall be securely fastened to the towing unit, and an additional safety chain with a minimum diameter of three-eights inch or cable with a minimum diameter of one-fourth inch shall also be securely fastened to the towing unit.
(6) If the trailer is transporting anhydrous ammonia, it shall display appropriate department of transportation placards on all four sides of the tank.
History: Sec. 61-2-103, MCA; IMP, Sec. 61-9-504, MCA; NEW, 1985 MAR p. 1858, Eff. 11/30/85.