24.182.512 PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR
(1) Each private investigator applicant shall submit an application compliant with ARM 24.182.501.
(2) Each private investigator applicant shall submit evidence that the applicant passed a written examination as set forth in ARM 24.182.505.
(3) A private investigator applicant must submit proof of insurance or surety bond per ARM 24.182.405 requirements.
(4) An applicant for private investigator must list the names and telephone numbers of three references not related to the applicant by blood or marriage. Two of the three references must be:
(a) former employers;
(b) individuals or firms with which the applicant had a contractual working agreement if self-employed;
(c) individuals or firms having knowledge of the agreement or working relationship; or
(d) as determined acceptable by the board or its designee.
(5) Applicants for licensure as private investigators must demonstrate three years of full-time experience (5,400 cumulative hours) as follows:
(a) employment performing investigative-related duties that do not require licensure as a private investigator, or as a private investigator trainee under an approved supervisor;
(b) governmental or military employment as a peace officer, detective, special agent, or another investigative position;
(c) employment in the fire investigative business or as a fire investigator; or
(d) employment as a licensed insurance investigator, with a maximum allowable credit of 2,700 hours.
(6) Applicants not meeting the required 5,400 hours of experience in (5) may count up to 2,700 hours of training or education as follows:
(a) successful completion and verification of the basic course at the Montana Law Enforcement Academy, which is 900 hours;
(b) training related to the practice of a private investigator, per 37-60-101, MCA; or
(c) credits earned from an institution of higher learning related to criminal justice or law.
History: 37-1-131, 37-60-202, 37-60-303, MCA; IMP, 37-1-131, 37-60-202, 37-60-303, 37-60-304, MCA; NEW, 2017 MAR p. 1957, Eff. 10/28/17.