32.3.1405 DISPOSITION OF REACTOR HORSES
(1) Equids found to be infected with EIA shall be quarantined to the premise where the animal was found to be infected, the owner's premise, or another premise approved by the department of livestock and are subject to the provisions of ARM Title 32, chapter 3, sub-chapter 1.
(2) The EIA reactor shall remain under quarantine until it is:
(a) consigned to slaughter at a USDA approved equine slaughter establishment;
(b) euthanized (or dies) and is buried or incinerated; or
(c) is donated to an approved university or other research facility for use in EIA research projects.
(3) Movement of any rector must be accompanied by a USDA, APHIS VS form 1-27.
(4) The quarantine premise or area for EIA reactors shall provide no less than 200 yards separation from all other equids. The quarantine area and quarantined animals therein may be monitored periodically by a representative of the department of livestock to ensure that provisions of the quarantine are being met. Any EIA reactor not held in quarantine may be ordered euthanized or sent to slaughter.
(5) All equids found to be infected with EIA shall be identified with an 81A brand on the left neck or left shoulder which will be followed by a number issued by the state veterinarian's office. Identification as an EIA reactor shall be accomplished within 15 days of notification that the animal is infected with EIA. The 81A brand shall be at least 2 inches high and may be either a hot iron brand or a freeze brand. The 81A brand will be assigned in sequence from the state veterinarian's office.
History: Sec. 81-2-102 MCA; IMP, Sec. 81-2-102, 81-2-103 MCA; NEW, 1998 MAR p. 2757, Eff. 10/9/98.