32.8.101 DEFINITIONS AND ADOPTION OF GRADE A PASTEURIZED MILK ORDINANCE AND ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTS
(1) As used in chapter 8, unless the context otherwise requires, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) "Arabic numerals" are defined as numbers (not spelled out) such as 3/20 or 12/31.
(b) A "day" is defined as any 24-hour period beginning when pasteurization of a unit of milk is completed.
(c) "Milk" is defined as whole milk, reduced fat milk, lowfat milk, fat free milk, artificially flavored milk, whipping cream, half and half and/or any other pasteurized liquid milk product designed to be consumed in the form in which it is packaged, except buttermilk, eggnog, and ultra-pasteurized or aseptic processed milk products.
(d) "Pasteurized date" is the same date a unit of milk completes pasteurization.
(e) A "sell-by" date is defined as the 12th consecutive day, never to exceed 288 hours, following pasteurization of a unit of milk.
(f) "Standard abbreviations" are defined as a date code such as MAR 31, or NOV 12.
(g) A "unit of milk" is a quantity of milk that is pasteurized during one pasteurization processing cycle.
(2) The Department of Livestock adopts and incorporates by reference as rules of the department the following:
(a) "Grade A Pasteurized Milk Ordinance, 2019 Recommendations of the United States Public Health Service/Food and Drug Administration" (PMO) together with attached recommended administrative procedures, appendices, and index, except sections 16 and 17.
(b) "Methods of Making Sanitation Ratings of Milk Supplies," 2019 edition issued by the U.S. Public Health Service/Food and Drug Administration (MMSR).
(c) "Evaluation of Milk Laboratories," 2019 edition (EML).
(d) "Procedures Governing the Cooperative State-Public Health Service/Food and Drug Administration Program for Certification of Interstate Milk Shippers," 2019 edition.
(3) These model codes and associated documents prescribe allowable methods of producing and processing Grade A milk and milk products and the methods by which compliance with the standards set forth are to be evaluated.
(4) Copies of related federal ordinances and associated documents are on file with the department and are carried by each sanitarian employed by the department.
(5) The rules of this chapter do not apply to "small dairies" as defined in 81-21-101, MCA.
History: 81-2-102 MCA; IMP, 2-4-307, 81-2-102, MCA; NEW, 1980 MAR p. 1539, Eff. 7/1/80; AMD, 1999 MAR p. 144, Eff. 1/15/99; AMD, 2000 MAR p. 2985, Eff. 10/27/00; AMD, 2020 MAR p. 592, Eff. 3/28/20; AMD, 2021 MAR p. 1676, Eff. 11/20/21.