37.100.145 ADULT FOSTER CARE HOMES (AFCH): OTHER SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
(1) Rugs must be attached to the floor or made of nonskid material.
(2) Corridors must be well lighted, uncluttered, and at least three feet wide.
(3) Stairways and ramps must have sturdy banisters.
(a) Open stairways should be protected by gates unless gates do not enhance the safety of the residents.
(b) Stairs and ramps must be provided with nonslip tread and will be at least three feet wide.
(4) A provider or staff must have either visual or auditory contact, at least every 30 seconds, with any resident who is able to bathe unassisted but has a condition which may render them physically or mentally helpless, or both.
(5) Extension cords may not be used as permanent wiring.
(6) All appliances, lamp cords, and exposed light sockets must be suitably protected to prevent accidents or electrocution.
(7) All areas occupied by residents must be well lighted. Night lights must be provided for each resident. Light switches must be located at the door.
(8) The yard area must be kept free from all hazards, nuisances, refuse, and litter.
(9) All guns must be kept in locked storage and ammunition must be kept in locked storage separate from the gun.
(10) The provider must ensure the residence is equipped with accessible first-aid supplies including a first-aid kit with sufficient supplies available at all times. A first-aid kit must:
(a) be readily available on-site as well as in all vehicles used by the AFCH;
(b) meet the standards of an appropriate national organization for the activity being conducted and the location and environment being used;
(c) be reviewed with new staff for contents and use; and
(d) be inventoried on a quarterly basis and restocked as needed.
(11) Policies and procedures must be in place for the safe use and storage of fuels and all heat sources.
(a) All alcohol, detergents, chemical sanitizers, and related cleaning compounds and other chemicals must be stored in their original properly labeled container in a safe location.
(b) Combustible and flammable materials and liquids must be properly stored in their original properly labeled container so as not to create a fire hazard.
(c) Poisonous compounds such as insecticides, rodenticide, and other chemicals bearing the EPA toxicity labels "warning" or "danger" must be kept in their original properly labeled container and under lock and key.
(d) Poisonous or toxic chemicals may not be stored above or adjacent to food, dishes, utensils, or food-contact surfaces. They may not be used in such a manner that they could contaminate these articles.
History: 50-5-103, 50-5-215, MCA; IMP, 50-5-103, 50-5-215, MCA; NEW, 1985 MAR p. 289, Eff. 3/29/85; TRANS, from Dept. of SRS, 1987 MAR p. 1492, Eff. 7/1/87; AMD, 1989 MAR p. 2207, Eff. 12/22/89; TRANS, from DFS, 1998 MAR p. 667; AMD, 2014 MAR p. 1098, Eff. 5/23/14.