37.106.1608 CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS
(1) Prior to construction or operation of a forensic mental health facility (FMHF), floor plans for the FMHF must be submitted to the department for review, comment, and approval. The department must also inspect and approve any new construction or any addition or alteration to an FMHF prior to occupancy.
(2) Prior to occupancy of an FMHF, or any addition or alteration to an FMHF, the FMHF must undergo an onsite inspection and receive the approval of the department's License Bureau, Construction Consultant.
(3) Any building used as an FMHF must be classified at a minimum as International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO) Construction type I-FR, or greater.
(4) All areas of an FMHF must be protected by automatic fire suppression. In unsupervised client areas, sprinkler heads must be recessed or of a design to restrict client access. An FMHF must provide the following:
(a) an operable UL listed fire alarm system with automatic response notification on alarm; and
(b) supervised smoke detectors throughout the facility reporting to the fire alarm system.
(5) An FMHF must meet the water supply system requirements of ARM 37.111.115.
(6) An FMHF must meet the sewage system requirements of ARM 37.111.116.
(7) An FMHF must have a double fence installed around any client accessible area.
(8) Each fence must be a minimum of 12 feet high, and
(a) have unclimbable security mesh fabric installed on the top five feet;
(b) have concertina wire installed on the top; and
(c) be buried 18 inches below grade.
(9) There must be a minimum 12 feet between the two fences that is free of all above ground obstructions.
(10) An FMHF must have an outside assembly area of refuge for facility evacuation during an emergency. The area must be:
(a) fenced and secured and large enough to safely hold all clients and staff; and
(b) far enough from the building to be considered a safe public way.
History: 50-5-103, MCA; IMP, 50-5-103, 50-5-201, 50-5-204, MCA; NEW, 2016 MAR p. 144, Eff. 1/23/16.