BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 42.21.155 and 42.22.1311 pertaining to 2023 Personal Property Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON PROPOSED AMENDMENT
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On November 28, 2022, at 12:00 p.m., the Department of Revenue will hold a public hearing in the Third Floor Reception Area Conference Room of the Sam W. Mitchell Building, located at 125 North Roberts, Helena, Montana, to consider the proposed amendment of the above-stated rules. The conference room is most readily accessed by entering through the east doors of the building.
2. The Department of Revenue will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this public hearing or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, please advise the department of the nature of the accommodation needed, no later than 5 p.m. on November 11, 2022. Please contact Todd Olson, Department of Revenue, Director's Office, P.O. Box 7701, Helena, Montana 59604-7701; telephone (406) 444-7905; fax (406) 444-3696; or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. STATEMENT OF REASONABLE NECESSITY. The department proposes to amend ARM 42.21.155 and 42.22.1311 to update the authority of the web-based Personal Property Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables publication (publication), adopted and incorporated by reference in the rules, to the 2023 version. The publication is updated annually, effective January 1, and is located within the department's website at https://mtrevenue.gov. The 2023 publication reflects changes in personal property and industrial machinery and equipment depreciation and trend factoring data in the department's valuation manuals and guides since last year. Both the 2022 publication and the proposed 2023 publication are available for review.
4. The rules as proposed to be amended provide as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
42.21.155 PERSONAL PROPERTY CATEGORIES AND TRENDED DEPRECIATION METHODOLOGIES (1) through (3) remain the same.
(4) The department shall post its trended depreciation schedules for the upcoming tax year for the categories of personal property described below on the department's internet website located at http://www.mtrevenue.gov. The department adopts and incorporates by reference its
2022 2023 Personal Property Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables publication, effective January 1, 2022 2023. The Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables publication contains the detailed schedules and tables the department uses for valuing personal property and industrial machinery and equipment. The personal property categories and trended depreciation methodologies that apply to the Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables publication are as follows:
(a) through (h) remain the same.
AUTH: 15-1-201, 15-23-108, MCA
IMP: 15-6-135, 15-6-138, 15-6-202, 15-6-207, 15-6-213,15-6-219, 15-8-111, MCA
42.22.1311 INDUSTRIAL MACHINERY AND EQUIPMENT TREND FACTORS (1) remains the same.
(2) The department shall post its trend factor tables for industrial machinery and equipment for the upcoming tax year on the department's internet website located at http://www.mtrevenue.gov. The department adopts and incorporates by reference its
2022 2023 Personal Property Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables publication, effective January 1, 2022 2023. The Depreciation Schedules and Trend Tables publication contains the detailed schedules and tables the department uses for valuing personal property and industrial machinery and equipment.
(3) remains the same.
AUTH: 15-1-201, MCA
IMP: 15-6-135, 15-6-138, 15-8-111, MCA
5. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments, either orally or in writing, at the hearing. Written data, views, or arguments may also be submitted to: Todd Olson, Department of Revenue, Director's Office, P.O. Box 7701, Helena, Montana 59604-7701; telephone (406) 444-7905; fax (406) 444-3696; or e-mail email@example.com and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., December 5, 2022.
6. Todd Olson, Department of Revenue, Director's Office, has been designated to preside over and conduct the hearing.
7. The Department of Revenue maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by this agency. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request, which includes the name and e-mail or mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies that the person wishes to receive notice regarding particular subject matter or matters. Notices will be sent by e-mail unless a mailing preference is noted in the request. A written request may be mailed or delivered to the person in number 5 above or faxed to the office at (406) 444-3696, or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the Department of Revenue.
8. An electronic copy of this notice is available on the department's web site at www.mtrevenue.gov, or through the Secretary of State's web site at sosmt.gov/ARM/register.
9. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
10. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the publication referenced in the above-referenced rules may significantly and directly impact small businesses. While the extent of any potential impact is fact-dependent on the circumstances of each taxpayer, the department notes the following impactful changes based on the valuation resources adopted by the department:
11. The department intends to adopt the above-described rule amendments during the fourth quarter of 2022, with an effective date of January 1, 2023. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-305(11), MCA, this rulemaking meets one or more of the exceptions provided in (11)(b)(ii) because ARM 42.21.155 and 42.22.1311 are procedural rules that already acknowledge and disclose that the valuation data source, which the department has adopted and incorporated into the rules (e.g., Marshall & Swift Valuation Service Guide) and uses to update the publication described in number 3 above, is unavailable until the third calendar quarter of any year.
/s/ Todd Olson /s/ David R. Stewart for
Todd Olson Brendan Beatty
Rule Reviewer Director of Revenue
Certified to the Secretary of State October 25, 2022.