BEFORE THE BOARD OF PUBLIC EDUCATION
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the adoption of NEW RULES I through IX, the amendment of ARM 10.53.101 through 10.53.103 and 10.54.2501, and the repeal of ARM 10.54.2810 through 10.54.2813, 10.54.2820 through 10.54.2823, 10.54.2830 through 10.54.2833, 10.54.2840 through 10.54.2843, 10.54.2850 through 10.54.2853, 10.58.2860 through 10.54.2863, and 10.54.2887 through 10.54.2898 pertaining to K-12 arts content standards
NOTICE OF ADOPTION,
AMENDMENT, AND REPEAL
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On June 3, 2016, the Board of Public Education published MAR Notice No. 10-53-275 pertaining to the public hearing on the proposed adoption, amendment, and repeal of the above-stated rules at page 938 of the 2016 Montana Administrative Register, Issue Number 11.
2. The board has adopted the following new rules:
NEW RULE I ARM 10.53.601 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS
NEW RULE II ARM 10.53.602 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR KINDERGARTEN
NEW RULE III ARM 10.53.603 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR FIRST GRADE
NEW RULE IV ARM 10.53.604 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR SECOND GRADE
NEW RULE V ARM 10.53.605 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR THIRD GRADE
NEW RULE VI ARM 10.53.606 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR FOURTH GRADE
NEW RULE VII ARM 10.53.607 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR FIFTH GRADE
NEW RULE VIII ARM 10.53.608 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR SIXTH THROUGH EIGHTH GRADES
NEW RULE IX ARM 10.53.609 ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS FOR NINTH THROUGH TWELFTH GRADES
3. The board has amended ARM 10.53.101 through 10.53.103 and 10.54.2501 as proposed.
4. The board has repealed 10.54.2810 through 10.54.2813, 10.54.2820 through 10.54.2823, 10.54.2830 through 10.54.2833, 10.54.2840 through 10.54.2843, 10.54.2850 through 10.54.2853, 10.58.2860 through 10.54.2863, and 10.54.2887 through 10.54.2898 as proposed.
5. The effective date of these rules is July 1, 2017.
6. The following comments were received.
COMMENT 1: Mr. Pat Audet, Associate Director, School Administrators of Montana, stated that SAM supports the new art standards. He recognized that wonderful minds were together to create these standards and having artists in his family he sees the importance of the arts in education. These standards give students a vast array of exposure to a variety of the arts.
RESPONSE: The Board of Public Education thanks the commenter for his comments.
COMMENT 2: Ms. Emily Kohring, Director of Arts Education for the Montana Arts Council, submitted written comments in support of the arts standards. She stated they are a great leap forward from the previous, outdated set of standards. She acknowledged the hard work and dedication of the people involved with writing and reviewing the standards. She feels these standards will result in a higher quality of teaching and a much deeper and richer experience in arts learning for all of Montana's K-12 students.
RESPONSE: The Board of Public Education thanks the commenter for her comments.
/s/ Peter Donovan /s/ Sharon Carroll
Peter Donovan Sharon Carroll, Chair
Rule Reviewer Board of Public Education
Certified to the Secretary of State July 25, 2016.