BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 18.8.1502, 18.8.1503, and 18.8.1505 pertaining to Motor Carrier Services Safety Requirements
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT
NO PUBLIC HEARING CONTEMPLATED
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On June 26, 2018, the Department of Transportation proposes to amend the above-stated rules.
2. The Department of Transportation will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this rulemaking process or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, contact the Department of Transportation no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 15, 2018, to advise us of the nature of the accommodation that you need. Please contact Dennis Hult, Department of Transportation, Motor Carrier Services Division, P.O. Box 201001, Helena, Montana, 59620-1001; telephone (406) 444-9237; fax (406) 444-6136; TTY Service (406) 444-7696 or (800) 335-7592; or e-mail email@example.com.
3. The rules as proposed to be amended provide as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
18.8.1502 FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY RULES AND STATE MODIFICATIONS (1) Any commercial motor vehicle or motor carrier subject to regulation by the department under 61-10-154, MCA, shall comply with and the department adopts by reference the following portions of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation, subject to the provisions of (2). The regulations adopted are 49 CFR part 373, 49 CFR part 375, 49 CFR parts 377 through 379, 49 CFR part 382, 49 CFR part 383, 49 CFR part 385, 49 CFR part 387, 49 CFR parts 390 through 399, and Appendix G to subchapter B of chapter III, Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as updated through
February 17, 2017 March 14, 2018. Copies of the regulations may be obtained from the U.S. Government Printing Office, 732 North Capitol Street, NW, Washington, DC 20401-0001, or at www.gpo.gov.
(2) remains the same.
AUTH: 61-10-155, MCA
IMP: 61-10-141, 61-10-154, MCA
Reason: The proposed amendment is necessary to adopt the most current published Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, thereby assuring MDT's administrative rule associated with commercial vehicle safety substantially complies with the federal motor carrier safety regulations as listed in 61-10-154, MCA.
18.8.1503 TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS (1) A commercial motor vehicle, motor carrier, or hazardous materials shipper shall comply with and the department adopts by reference the following federal regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation concerning the transportation of hazardous materials: 49 CFR part 107, 49 CFR part 171, 49 CFR part 172, 49 CFR part 173, 49 CFR part 177, 49 CFR part 178, and 49 CFR part 180. The regulations adopted may be found in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, chapter I, subchapters B and C, as updated through
February 17, 2017 March 14, 2018. Copies may be obtained from the U.S. Government Printing Office, 732 North Capitol Street, NW, Washington, DC 20401-0001, or at www.gpo.gov.
AUTH: 61-10-155, MCA
IMP: 61-10-154, MCA
REASON: The proposed amendment is necessary to adopt the most current published version of the federal hazardous materials regulations.
18.8.1505 SAFETY INSPECTION PROGRAM: PURPOSE AND OUT-OF-SERVICE CRITERIA (1) remains the same.
(2) In addition to the federal regulations adopted in ARM 18.8.1502, the safety inspection program will follow Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria (April 1,
2017 2018), incorporated by reference. A copy of the North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria may be obtained from the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, 6303 Ivy Lane, Suite 310, Greenbelt, MD 20770-6319 or at www.cvsa.org.
(3) remains the same.
AUTH: 61-10-155, MCA
IMP: 61-10-154, MCA
Reason: The proposed amendment is necessary to adopt the most current CVSA (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance) North American Uniform "Out-of-Service" criteria. The 2018 changes to the CVSA may be viewed at
4. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments concerning the proposed action in writing to: Dennis Hult, Department of Transportation, Motor Carrier Services Division, P.O. Box 201001, Helena, Montana, 59620-1001; telephone (406) 444-9237; fax (406) 444-6136; TTY Service (406) 444-7696 or (800) 335-7592; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., June 22, 2018.
5. If persons who are directly affected by the proposed action wish to express their data, views, or arguments orally or in writing at a public hearing, they must make written request for a hearing and submit this request along with any written comments to Dennis Hult at the above address no later than 5:00 p.m., June 22, 2018.
6. If the agency receives requests for a public hearing on the proposed action from either 10 percent or 25, whichever is less, of the persons directly affected by the proposed action; from the appropriate administrative rule review committee of the Legislature; from a governmental subdivision or agency; or from an association having not less than 25 members who will be directly affected, a hearing will be held at a later date. Notice of the hearing will be published in the Montana Administrative Register. Ten percent of those directly affected has been determined to be 828 persons based on the current 8281 active USDOT accounts based in Montana.
7. The department maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by this agency. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request that includes the name, e-mail, and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies for which program the person wishes to receive notices. Notices will be sent by e-mail unless a mailing preference is noted in the request. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the contact person in 4 above or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the department.
8. An electronic copy of this proposal notice is available on the Department of Transportation website at www.mdt.mt.gov.
9. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
10. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined the amendment of ARM 18.8.1503 and 18.8.1505 will not significantly and directly impact small businesses. The department has determined the amendment of ARM 18.8.1502 may significantly and directly impact certain small businesses.
11. With regard to the requirements of 2-15-142, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rules will not have direct tribal implications.
/s/ Carol Grell Morris /s/ Michael T. Tooley
Carol Grell Morris Michael T. Tooley
Rule Reviewer Director
Department of Transportation
Certified to the Secretary of State May 15, 2018.