(1) "AAMVA" means the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.
(2) "Applicant" means any individual applying to the department for a Montana credential.
(3) "Authorized presence" means an individual who is a U.S. citizen or who is a foreign national admitted for permanent or temporary residence in the United States.
(4) "Certified birth certificate" means a copy of the whole or part of a record of birth registered with the state that the state considers to be the same as the original record of birth on file with the state Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent government agency in an applicant's state of birth.
(5) "Credential" means any department-issued driver's license, driver permit, or identification card that contains the applicant's full legal name, digital photograph, date of birth, and address. This definition excludes department-issued employee identification cards.
(6) "Department" means the Montana Department of Justice.
(7) "DHS" means the United States Department of Homeland Security.
(8) "Employee identification card" means an identification card issued by the department for identification of employees of an entity without proving identity.
(9) "Exception processing" means the procedure the department has established for persons who are unable, for reasons beyond their control, to present all necessary documents and must rely on alternative documents to establish identity, date of birth, and authorized presence. Alternative documents to demonstrate authorized presence are only allowed to demonstrate U.S. citizenship.
(10) "First name" means the name that appears first in an individual's full name or is the individual's first given name.
(11) "Foreign national" means an individual who is in the United States and is not currently a citizen.
(12) "Full legal name" means the applicant's first name, middle name(s), and last name, without the use of initials or nicknames, as it appears on the applicant's presented source documents.
(13) "Identification card" means a credential issued by the department but that does not permit the individual to operate a motor vehicle.
(14) "Identity" means any information which can be used to distinguish or trace an individual, such as their name, driver's license or identification card, social security number, biometric record, including physical characteristics or a photograph or digital image, or signature; alone, or when combined with other personal or identifying information, which is linked or linkable to a specific individual, such as a date and place of birth or address.
(15) "Last name" means the final name or surname on a primary document. When the final two names are connected with a hyphen, it is both names connected by the hyphen.
(16) "Mailing address" means the postal address where the individual receives mail.
(17) "Middle name" means the name or names between the individual's first name and last name.
(18) "Montana resident" means an individual who resides in Montana as determined under 1-1-215, MCA.
(19) "Nonresident" means an individual who is not a Montana resident.
(20) "Permanent resident status" means a foreign national whose authority to lawfully remain in the United States is permanent.
(21) "REAL ID Driver's License or Identification Card" means a driver's license or identification card that has been issued by a state that has been certified by the DHS to be in compliance with the requirements of the REAL ID Act and accompanying regulations, including limited-term driver's licenses or identification cards.
(22) "Residency" means the physical address of where an individual lives.
(23) "SAVE" means the Department of Homeland Security Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements system.
(24) "Source document" means an original document certified by the issuing agency, an amended original document certified by the issuing agency, or a true copy certified by the issuing agency, excluding miniature, wallet sized, or photocopies of documents.
(25) "SSA" means the Social Security Administration
(26) "SSN" means the Social Security Number issued to an individual by the SSA.
(27) "SSOLV" means Social Security Online Verification managed by the Social Security Administration.
(28) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
(29) "Temporary lawful status" means a foreign national whose authority to lawfully remain in the United States is temporary.
(30) "United States citizen" means an individual who is either a natural born citizen or who has lawfully become a citizen of the United States under the U.S. Constitution and laws.
(31) "United States passport" means a passport booklet or card issued by the U.S. Department of State that denotes identity and citizenship as determined by the U.S. Department of State.