(1) Allowable functions for the dental hygienist practicing under the supervision of a licensed dentist shall include dental procedures as allowed by Title 37, chapter 4, MCA, and board rule, and subject to (2) below, in which:
(a) the hygienist was instructed and qualified to perform in a school of dental hygiene accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation or its successor; or
(b) the hygienist was instructed and trained by a licensed dentist; or
(c) the hygienist was instructed and trained in a board acceptable continuing education course; or
(d) the hygienist is functioning in the capacity of a dental auxiliary as allowed by board rule.
(2) A dental hygienist will be allowed to perform the following dental auxiliary functions, under general supervision, including, but not limited to:
(a) making radiographic exposures, as prescribed by the supervising dentist;
(b) taking impressions for study or working casts;
(c) removing sutures and dressings;
(d) applying topical anesthetic agents;
(e) providing oral health instruction;
(f) applying topical fluoride agents;
(g) removing excess cement from coronal surfaces;
(h) placing and removing rubber dams;
(i) placing and removing matrices;
(j) collecting patient data;
(k) polishing amalgam restorations;
(l) placing pit and fissure sealants; and
(m) coronal polishing.
(3) A dental hygienist shall not be allowed to perform the following:
(a) diagnosis and treatment planning as per 37-4-401, MCA;
(b) cutting hard or soft tissue (except root planing and soft tissue curettage) or extracting teeth;
(c) prescribing any drug except fluoride agents, topical oral anesthetic agents, and nonsystemic oral antimicrobials, under the general supervision of a licensed dentist or under public health supervision with a limited access permit, as per 37-4-401, MCA;
(d) administering or dispensing any drugs, without the prior authorization and direct supervision of the supervising dentist. This does not pertain to local anesthetic agents administered by a licensed dental hygienist qualified to administer the agents, topical agents, fluoride agents, topical oral anesthetic agents, nonsystemic oral antimicrobials, or sulcular medicaments;
(e) placing, carving or condensing any permanent restorations;
(f) taking final impressions of the involved arch for crowns, bridges, implant prosthesis, partial or complete dentures;
(g) bonding or cementing orthodontic brackets, or orthodontic appliances that would provide activation upon cementation;
(h) bonding or cementing any fixed prosthesis, including veneers, except for provisional.
(4) The assignment of tasks and procedures to a dental hygienist shall not relieve the dentist from liability for all treatment rendered the patient.
(5) It shall be the responsibility of the employing dentist to verify that a dental hygienist's qualifications are in compliance with the statutes and rules of the Board of Dentistry.