As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Application" means the grant application submitted by a lead applicant to the department seeking an EARN program grant.
(2) "Business-related nonprofit organizations" means an organization such as a trade association or organizations functioning as a workforce intermediary for the express purpose of serving the needs of an industry or industry-sector partnership.
(3) "Department" means the Department of Labor and Industry.
(4) "EARN program grant" means a grant awarded by the department pursuant to 39-11-305, MCA.
(5) "Industry workforce shortages" means a documented shortage of skilled employees for a sustained period of time in a particular target industry.
(6) "Lead applicant" mean a business, a business-related nonprofit organization, or an economic development agency that is a member of the strategic industry partnership. The lead applicant is an entity recognized by the state and must be in good standing with the Montana Secretary of State or local tribal government. The lead applicant shall act as the fiscal agent for receiving any awarded grant funds.
(7) "Matching funds" means any amount of direct financial or in-kind contribution provided by a member of the strategic industry partnership that is identified in the application. Matching funds can be at any amount in relation to the amount requested in the application.
(8) "Skills gap" means the difference in skills required for an occupation in a particular target industry and the skills possessed by the target population.