(1) "Alteration" means any change in an item described on the original manufacturer's data report, which affects the pressure containing capability of the boiler.
(2) "ASME" means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
(3) "Boiler" means a closed vessel in which water is heated, steam is generated, steam is super-heated, or any combination thereof, under pressure or vacuum, for use external to itself, by the direct application of heat from combustible fuels or electricity. The term boiler includes fired units for heating or vaporizing liquids other than water, where these units are separate from processing systems and complete within themselves.
(4) "Certificate of inspection" means the boiler inspection report issued by either the department or an insurance company following a boiler inspection.
(5) "Degrees" means Fahrenheit or equivalent Celsius.
(6) "Design professional" means a person who, by reason of special knowledge and use of the mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences, and the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design acquired by engineering education and engineering experience, is qualified to practice engineering, and who has been licensed as a professional engineer, and who has experience with boiler design and repair.
(7) "External inspection" means an inspection of the external portions of a boiler, preferably made when the boiler is in operation.
(8) "High temperature water boiler" (power hot water) means a water boiler intended for operation at pressures exceeding 160 psig and/or temperatures exceeding 250 degrees F.
(9) "Hot water heating boiler" means a boiler operating at pressures not exceeding 160 psig and/or temperatures not exceeding 250 degrees F., at or near the boiler outlet, designed to heat water for circulation through an external heating system.
(10) "Hot water supply boiler" means a boiler, completely filled with water, intended for operation at pressures not exceeding 160 psig and/or temperatures exceeding 250 degrees F., measured at or near the boiler outlet, that furnishes hot water to be used external to itself.
(11) "Inspector" means a state inspector or special boiler inspector.
(12) "Internal inspection" means as complete an examination as can reasonably be made of the internal surfaces of a boiler while it is shut down, when such manhole plates, handhole plates, or other inspection opening closures are opened or removed for cleaning or repair.
(13) "National board" means the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors.
(14) "National board certificate" means a National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors' commission.
(15) "Operating certificate" means a certificate issued by the department which authorizes the owner or user to allow the boiler to be operated.
(16) "Owner" means any person, firm, corporation, state, county, municipality, or other entity owning, or possessing for operation any boiler within the state of Montana.
(17) "Potable water" means water which is utilized for drinking, culinary, and domestic purposes.
(18) "Power boiler" means a boiler in which steam or other vapor is generated at a pressure of more than 15 psig.
(19) "Pressure vessel" means an unfired closed container in which pressure is obtained from an external source, the application of heat from an indirect source or from a direct source other than a boiler.
(20) "PSIG" means pounds per square inch gauge or equivalent metric units.
(21) "Repair" means the work necessary to restore a boiler to a safe and satisfactory operating condition.
(22) "Special boiler inspector" means a person, other than a state inspector, authorized by the department to perform boiler inspections.
(23) "Standard boiler" means a boiler that bears a state stamp, the stamp of another state which has adopted equivalent boiler construction standards, an ASME stamp, a national board stamp, or other approved stamp acceptable to the department.
(24) "State boiler inspector" means a person employed by the department for the purpose of inspecting boilers.
(25) "State special boiler" means a boiler that is not a standard boiler, which must be granted a special operating certificate by the department prior to being operated.
(26) "Steam heating boiler" means a steam or vapor boiler operated at pressures not exceeding 15 psig.
(27) "Temporary boiler" means a boiler, such as a portable rental boiler, which is intended to be utilized at a temporary location and such usage permits it to be readily moved from one location to another.
(28) "Traction engine" means a historic model, historic power boiler, portable steam engine, donkey engine, steam car, steam boat, steam locomotive, historical vertical boiler, or steam tractor utilized primarily for exhibition purposes.
(29) "User" means any person, firm, corporation, state, county, municipality, or other entity operating any boiler within the state.
(30) "Water heater or water heating system" means a closed vessel or combination of appliances and/or apparatus, consisting of corrosion resistant elements, operating at pressures not exceeding 150 psig and/or temperatures not exceeding 210 degrees F., which supplies potable hot water as regulated by the state plumbing code.