(1) For each media production or postproduction tax credit application, the department must review and validate tax credit amounts that are allowed to be claimed against Montana income tax liability. Each tax credit amount validated for each
state-certified production must be assigned a UCRN. If a tax credit amount is allocated to several credit years, a UCRN must be issued for each credit year. The tax credit is considered issued on the date the UCRN is issued to the applicant.
(2) If, upon the review of the production media tax credit application, the department adjusts the tax credit amount claimed and reserved, the department must provide the applicant with a written justification of the reasons for any adjustment. The applicant has 30 days from the date of the adjustment letter to accept or appeal the department's adjustment, as provided under 15-1-216, MCA. Once a final determination is made, the department will issue the appropriate tax credit as provided in (1).
(3) If the applicant does not appeal the department's adjustment, the adjustment becomes the department's final determination for the tax credit amount. The applicant may inform the department at any time that it accepts the department's determination.
(4) Once a final determination is reached, in addition to requirements in
15-31-1005(3), MCA, the department will provide the Montana Department of Commerce with a letter providing:
(a) the amount of base investment verified by the department;
(b) the credit base retained;
(c) a UCRN per credit year;
(d) a first credit year reference in which the tax credit can be claimed; and
(e) the ending credit year, which is the last credit year the tax credit may be claimed on an income tax return.
(5) No transfer of a tax credit reserved is allowed until the claimant has received a UCRN related to an amount of a tax credit.