BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE REGULATION
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 38.5.2102 pertaining to utility electricity voltage
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT
NO PUBLIC HEARING CONTEMPLATED
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On January 14, 2022, the Department of Public Service Regulation proposes to amend the above-stated rule.
2. The Department of Public Service Regulation will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this rulemaking process or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, contact the Department of Public Service Regulation no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 22, 2021, to advise us of the nature of the accommodation that you need. Please contact Loryn Johnson, Department of Public Service Regulation, 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT, 59620-2601; telephone (406) 444-6170; fax (406) 444-7618; TDD (406) 444-6199; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The rule as proposed to be amended provides as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
38.5.2102 ELECTRIC UTILITY NOMINAL VOLTAGE AND PERMISSIBLE RANGE OF VARIANCE (1) The standards of product and service for each public utility providing electric service subject to the jurisdiction of the commission shall, whether established by ordered tariff provision or administrative rule, allow for a nominal voltage and permissible range of variation as specified in American National Standards Institute (ANSI) C84.1
2016 2020. A copy of ANSI C84.1 may be obtained from the American National Standards Institute, Operations, 25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor, New York, New York 10036, or may be reviewed at the Public Service Commission Offices, 1701 Prospect Avenue, Helena, Montana 59620-2601.
(2) This rule shall not apply:
(a) to transmission systems not used to directly serve customers;
(b) where customers specifically request a voltage other than standard nominal system voltages as specified in ANSI C84.1; or
(c) in instances where voltage is in excess of 34,500 volts.
AUTH: 69-3-103, MCA
IMP: 69-3-108, MCA
REASON: Amendment of ARM 38.5.2102 is necessary to allow the department to administer the most recent version of the ANSI's nominal voltage and permissible range of variation standards.
4. Concerned persons may submit their written data, views, or arguments to Legal Division, Department of Public Service Regulation, 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT 59620-2601; telephone (406) 444-6170; fax (406) 444-7618; or e-mail email@example.com and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., January 7, 2022.
5. The Montana Consumer Counsel, 111 North Last Chance Gulch, Suite 1B, Helena, MT 59620-1703, telephone (406) 444-2771, is available and may be contacted to represent consumer interests in this matter.
6. If persons who are directly affected by the proposed amendment wish to express their data, views, or arguments either orally or in writing at a public hearing, they must make written request for a hearing and submit this request along with any written comments to Loryn Johnson, Legal Division, Department of Public Service Regulation, 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT 59620-2601, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be received no later than 5:00 p.m., January 7, 2022.
7. If the department receives requests for a public hearing on the proposed action from either 10 percent or 25, whichever is less, of the persons directly affected by the proposed action; from the appropriate administrative rule review committee of the Legislature; from a governmental subdivision or agency; or from an association having not less than 25 members who will be directly affected, a hearing will be held at a later date. Notice of the hearing will be published in the Montana Administrative Register. Ten percent of those directly affected has been determined to be one entity, based on the two entities affected.
8. The department maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by the department. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request which includes the name, e-mail address, and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies that the person wishes to receive notices regarding: electric utilities, providers, and suppliers; natural gas utilities, providers, and suppliers; telecommunications utilities and carriers; water and sewer utilities; common carrier pipelines; motor carriers; rail carriers; and/or administrative procedures. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the Department of Public Service Regulation, Legal Division, 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT 59620-2601, faxed to Loryn Johnson at (406) 444-7618, e-mailed to email@example.com, or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the department.
9. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rule will not significantly and directly impact small businesses.
10. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
/s/ Lucas Hamilton /s/ James Brown
Lucas Hamilton James Brown
Rule Reviewer Chair
Public Service Commission
Certified to the Secretary of State October 26, 2021.