BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE REGULATION
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 38.5.2202 and 38.5.2302 pertaining to pipeline safety
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT
NO PUBLIC HEARING CONTEMPLATED
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. The Department of Public Service Regulation proposes to amend the above-stated rules.
2. The Department of Public Service Regulation will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this rulemaking process or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, contact the Department of Public Service Regulation no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 5, 2023, to advise us of the nature of the accommodation that you need. Please contact the Department of Public Service Regulation, 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT, 59620-2601; telephone (800) 646-6150; fax (406) 444-7618; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The rules as proposed to be amended provide as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
38.5.2202 INCORPORATION BY REFERENCE OF FEDERAL PIPELINE SAFETY REGULATIONS (1) The commission adopts and incorporates by reference the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Pipeline Safety Regulations, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Title 49, chapter 1, subchapter D, parts 191, 192, and 193, including all revisions and amendments enacted by DOT on or before
August 5, 2022 November 17, 2023. A copy of the referenced regulations may be obtained from United States Department of Transportation, Office of Pipeline Safety, Western Region, 12300 West Dakota Avenue, Suite 110, Lakewood, Colorado 80228, or may be reviewed at the Public Service Commission Offices, 1701 Prospect Avenue, Helena, Montana 59620-2601.
AUTH: 69-3-207, MCA
IMP: 69-3-207, MCA
38.5.2302 INCORPORATION BY REFERENCE OF FEDERAL PIPELINE SAFETY REGULATIONS -- DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS (1) Except as otherwise provided in this subchapter, the commission adopts and incorporates by reference the DOT Pipeline Safety Regulations, Drug and Alcohol Testing, 49 CFR 199, including all revisions and amendments enacted by DOT on or before
August 5, 2022 November 17, 2023. A copy of the referenced CFRs is available from the United States Department of Transportation, Office of Pipeline Safety, Western Region, 12300 West Dakota Avenue, Suite 110, Lakewood, Colorado 80228, or may be reviewed at the Public Service Commission Offices, 1701 Prospect Avenue, Helena, Montana 59620-2601.
AUTH: 69-3-207, MCA
IMP: 69-3-207, MCA
REASON: The proposed amendment of ARM 38.5.2202 and 38.5.2302 is necessary to allow the department to use the most recent version of federal rules applicable to Montana's pipeline safety programs. Regular amendments of these rules are also necessary to remain in compliance with federal funding requirements. The referenced regulations may be reviewed at the department's offices.
4. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments concerning the proposed actions in writing to the Department of Public Service Regulation in person or by mail at 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT, 59620-2601; telephone (800) 646-6150; fax at (406) 444-7618; or e-mail at email@example.com. Such comments must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., December 15, 2023. Please reference Docket No. 2023.10.092 when submitting a comment.
5. The Montana Consumer Counsel, 111 North Last Chance Gulch, Suite 1B, Helena, MT 59620-1703, telephone (406) 444-2771, is available and may be contacted to represent consumer interests in this matter.
6. If the department receives requests for a public hearing on the proposed action from either 10 percent or 25, whichever is less, of the persons directly affected by the proposed action; from the appropriate administrative rule review committee of the Legislature; from a governmental subdivision or agency; or from an association having not less than 25 members who will be directly affected, a hearing will be held at a later date. Notice of the hearing will be published in the Montana Administrative Register. Ten percent of those directly affected has been determined to be two entities based on 20 entities affected.
7. The department maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by the department. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request that includes the name, e-mail address, and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies that the person wishes to receive notices regarding: electric utilities, providers and suppliers; natural gas utilities, providers, and suppliers; telecommunications utilities and carriers; water and sewer utilities; common carrier pipelines; motor carriers; rail carriers; and/or administrative procedures. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the Department of Public Service Regulation, Legal Division, 1701 Prospect Avenue, P.O. Box 202601, Helena, MT 59620-2601, faxed to (406) 444-7618, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the department.
8. An electronic copy of this proposal notice is available through the Secretary of State's web site at http://sosmt.gov/ARM/Register.
9. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, do not apply.
10. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rules will not significantly and directly impact small businesses.
/s/ DANIEL POLKOW /s/ JAMES BROWN
Daniel Polkow James Brown
Rule Reviewer President
Public Service Commission
Certified to the Secretary of State November 7, 2023.