BEFORE THE BOARD OF PUBLIC EDUCATION
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. On March 28, 2013, the Board of Public Education published MAR Notice No. 10-55-265 pertaining to the public hearing on the proposed adoption and amendment of the above-stated rules at page 357 of the 2013 Montana Administrative Register, Issue Number 6.
2. The board has adopted NEW RULE I (ARM 10.55.911) as proposed, but with the following changes from the original proposal, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
10.55.911 OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT (1) through (b) remain as proposed.
(c) statewide school identifier, school name, school address, school phone, school system name, school system code, and school code;
(d) through (n) remain as proposed.
3. The board has amended ARM 10.55.906 as proposed, but with the following changes from the original proposal, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
10.55.906 HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT (1) through (4) remain as proposed.
(a) Montana high schools shall accept such units of credit taken with the approval of the accredited Montana high school in which the student was then enrolled and which appear on the student's official high school transcript as defined in ARM 10.55.911.
4. The board has amended ARM 10.55.701, 10.55.704, 10.55.708 and 10.55.804 as proposed.
5. The following comments or testimony were received with the board’s responses as follows:
COMMENT: Susan Murray of the Office of Public Instruction requested that student phone number be added to New Rule I(b) and school system name, school system code, and school code be added to New Rule I(c) as these are data elements needed for federal and state data collection.
RESPONSE: The board thanks Ms. Murray for her comment and concurs with her suggestion that the school system name, school system code, and school code be added to New Rule I(c).
COMMENT: Ann Gilkey, Chief Legal Counsel for the Superintendent of Public Instruction stated that she was a proponent for the proposed rules and suggested that New Rule I be referenced in ARM 10.55.906(4)(a). She also commented that a student’s phone number is not a required data element, may be hard to obtain, and may result in the unintended consequence of a district not being able to issue a transcript because of not having the student’s phone number. Ms. Gilkey requested that the student’s phone number not be required on an official transcript.
RESPONSE: The board thanks Ms. Gilkey for her comments and concurs with her suggestions.
/s/ Peter Donovan /s/ Patty Myers
Peter Donovan Patty Myers, Chair
Rule Reviewer Board of Public Education
Certified to the Secretary of State May 28, 2013.