(1) Animals that have been exposed to a confirmed rabid or suspected rabid animal shall be managed according to vaccination status as per the Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control. Additional consideration can be given to severity of exposure, current health status, and local rabies epidemiology.
(2) Currently vaccinated animals shall be revaccinated immediately and observed for 45 days.
(3) Dogs and cats overdue for a booster vaccination with appropriate documentation of previous vaccination shall be managed as per (2).
(4) Animals without appropriate documentation of previous vaccination shall either be:
(a) ordered destroyed by the state veterinarian, or
(b) quarantined in strict isolation in a place and manner approved by the state veterinarian for a period not to exceed six months and rabies vaccine administered within 96 hours of exposure.
(5) Dogs and cats overdue for a booster vaccination and with a documented amnestic response to vaccination through serologic monitoring at the owner's expense may be managed as per (2).