Prev Next


(1) Public contractors, who have had the 1% contractors gross receipts tax withheld from them by any governmental agency or prime contractor, will be allowed, as a refund any of those personal property taxes and motor vehicle fees incurred between January 1 and December 31 of the year the withholding occurred.   The refund applies only to personal property taxes on equipment used in the construction business of the contractor.

(2) These refunds will only be allowed after all necessary reports are filed and copies of paid personal property tax and motor vehicle fee receipts are submitted to the department.

(3) All overpayment refunds and personal property tax and motor vehicle fee refund requests are due July 1 of the calendar year following the year the tax liability or overpayment occurred.   For any given year in which a tax liability or overpayment occurred, refund requests will be accepted annually up to five years after the original July 1 due date for that year.

History: Sec. 15-1-201 and 15-50-301, MCA; IMP, Sec. 15-50-207, 15-50-304 and 39-9-204, MCA; Eff. 12/31/72; AMD, Eff. 5/5/77; AMD, 1981 MAR p. 627, Eff. 6/26/81; AMD, 1983 MAR p. 1466, Eff. 10/14/83; AMD, 1987 MAR p. 1803, Eff. 10/16/87; AMD, 1995 MAR p. 2854, Eff. 12/22/95; AMD, 2000 MAR p. 3569, Eff. 12/22/00.

Home  |   Search  |   About Us  |   Contact Us  |   Help  |   Disclaimer  |   Privacy & Security