The following definitions apply to this subchapter:
(1) "Condition" or "conditions" means specific requirements a person must abide by to receive or retain a permit.
(2) "Controlled species" means a live, exotic wildlife species, subspecies, or hybrid of that species.
(3) "Department" means the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
(4) "Exotic wildlife" means a wildlife species that is not native to Montana; foreign or introduced.
(5) "Permit" means written authorization issued by the department to possess, sell, purchase, breed, or exchange a controlled or prohibited species in the state of Montana.
(6) "Person" means any individual, corporation, association, firm, joint venture, partnership, municipality, school district or board, agency or political subdivision of the state or state-law-created special or other district.
(7) "Prohibited species" means a live, exotic wildlife species, subspecies, or hybrid of that species, including viable embryos or gametes, that may not be possessed, sold, purchased, exchanged, or transported in Montana, except as provided in 87-5-709, MCA, or this subchapter.
(8) "Noncontrolled species" means a live, exotic wildlife species, subspecies, or hybrid of that species that may be possessed, sold, purchased or exchanged in the state without a permit, except as provided in this subchapter or in Montana statutes or federal statutes. A noncontrolled species may not be released into the wild unless authorized in writing by the department. This definition does not authorize the sale, possession, transportation, importation or exportation of a noncontrolled species in violation of any applicable federal or state statute or regulation or county or city ordinance.