BEFORE THE DEPARTMENT OF LIVESTOCK
OF THE STATE OF MONTANA
In the matter of the amendment of ARM 32.8.201 pertaining to scope of rules
NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENT
NO PUBLIC HEARING CONTEMPLATED
TO: All Concerned Persons
1. The Department of Livestock proposes to amend the above-stated rule.
2. The Department of Livestock will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in this rulemaking process or need an alternative accessible format of this notice. If you require an accommodation, contact Department of Livestock no later than 5:00 p.m. on November 1, 2021, to advise us of the nature of the accommodation that you need. Please contact Executive Officer, Department of Livestock, 301 N. Roberts St., Room 304, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, MT 59620-2001; telephone: (406) 444-9525; TTD number: 1 (800) 253-4091; fax: (406) 444-4316; e-mail: MDOLcomments@mt.gov.
3. The rule as proposed to be amended provides as follows, new matter underlined, deleted matter interlined:
32.8.201 SCOPE OF RULES (1) Employing the definitions in ARM 32.8.101, and in 81-23-101, MCA, these rules apply to milk producers, processors, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers who conduct business in Montana. The rules of this chapter do not apply to "small dairies" as defined in 81-21-101, MCA.
AUTH: 81-2-102, MCA
IMP: 81-2-102, MCA
REASON: The department is proposing to amend the above-stated rule for clarity purposes after the passage of SB199, also known as The Montana Local Food Choice Act, during the 2021 Legislative session. The bill amended 81-21-101, MCA, to add a definition of "small dairies" and exempts them from the department's regulations and rules. As such, the department felt it prudent to note that exemption in its rules.
4. Concerned persons may submit their data, views, or arguments concerning the proposed action in writing to: Department of Livestock, P.O. Box 202001, Helena, Montana, 59620-2001; telephone (406) 444-9761; fax (406) 444-1929; or e-mail MDOLcomments@mt.gov, and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., November 5, 2021.
5. If persons who are directly affected by the proposed action wish to express their data, views, or arguments orally or in writing at a public hearing, they must make written request for a hearing and submit this request along with any written comments to the same address as above no later than 5:00 p.m., November 5, 2021.
6. If the agency receives requests for a public hearing on the proposed action from either 10 percent or 25, whichever is less, of the persons directly affected by the proposed action; from the appropriate administrative rule review committee of the Legislature; from a governmental subdivision or agency; or from an association having not less than 25 members who will be directly affected, a hearing will be held at a later date. Notice of the hearing will be published in the Montana Administrative Register. Ten percent of those directly affected has been determined to be six persons based on seven operating Grade A licensed plants and 48 operating Grade A licensed producers.
7. The department maintains a list of interested persons who wish to receive notices of rulemaking actions proposed by this agency. Persons who wish to have their name added to the list shall make a written request that includes the name, e-mail, and mailing address of the person to receive notices and specifies for which program the person wishes to receive notices. Notices will be sent by e-mail unless a mailing preference is noted in the request. Such written request may be mailed or delivered to the contact person in 4 above or may be made by completing a request form at any rules hearing held by the department.
8. The bill sponsor contact requirements of 2-4-302, MCA, apply and have been fulfilled. The primary bill sponsor, Senator Greg Hertz, was contacted by email on June 14, 2021.
9. With regard to the requirements of 2-4-111, MCA, the department has determined that the amendment of the above-referenced rule will not significantly and directly impact small businesses.
BY: /s/ Michael S. Honeycutt BY: /s/ Cinda Young-Eichenfels
Michael S. Honeycutt Cinda Young-Eichenfels
Executive Officer Rule Reviewer
Board of Livestock
Department of Livestock
Certified to the Secretary of State September 28, 2021.